Loading Loading

04 First steps in Madrid

  • IED Guides
  • "Student Guide"
  • Number 01 - 18 de March de 2018
  • creatividad

One of the first steps you should take when you arrive in Madrid is to visit your Consulate. Most of them will provide the opportunity to register as a citizen of your country and, in the event that your documents are lost or stolen, you will be able to request them again without having to submit other documentation.

At the end of this paragraph you will find a list of addresses and telephone numbers for the all consulates in Madrid; those which do not appear in the list will be represented by official bodies or embassies.

For more information or if you have any other questions, you can go directly to any of the Citizen Support Offices in Madrid.
More information here.

1 How to get to the IED Madrid


The IED Madrid is located on Calle Flor Alta, 8 in the Centro district of Madrid, parallel to the Great Via, one of the most emblematic streets in the city.

The fastest and easiest way to get there is by underground. on the following lines:

  • Line 2, MM Santo Domingo and Noviciado.
  • Lines 3 and 5, MM Callao.
  • Lines 3 and 10, MM Plaza de España.

You can also use the bus:

  • Lines 1, 2, 44, 46, 74, 75, 133, 147, 148 and 202.

IED Master is located on Calle Larra 14, close to the Glorieta de Bilbao.
You can get there on the following subway lines:

  • Lines 1 and 4, MM Bilbao.
  • Lines 1 and 10, MM Tribunal.

And, if you want to use the bus, lines 3, 21, 40, 147 and 149 stop very close to our school.

If you’re traveling every day to IED Madrid, it is best to buy a monthly travel pass.

Get more information on the different rates for the travel pass, on the public transport webpage.

2 Communicating in Spain

Comunicarse en Madrid

Communication is becoming faster each day, with distances becoming less significant, so it is easier to stay in touch with family and friends.

You’ll find a large number of mobile phone shops throughout the city. We advise you to consider using whichever company those around you use, so you can save on the cost of your calls. You can also buy mobile phones at really cheap prices. Some of the mobile phone companies are:

3 Bank Accounts and Financing

Opening a bank account in Spain is the most comfortable and safe way to control your expenses while you are living here.
To open an account it is essential to have a valid passport.

The bank with which the IED Madrid has a collaboration agreement to offer financing or loans to our students is:

Supercuenta universitaria Banco Santander

The IED Madrid, through an agreement with Santander Universidades, offers the possibility of opening a bank account in the Banco Santander branch on Calle Alberto Aguilera, 35, from 8: 30-14:00h before your arrival and from your home country, or once you arrive in Madrid.
All you need is:

  • Registration certificate issued by the IED Madrid
  • Passport


  • Being a student of IED Madrid
  • Maximum age: 26


This savings account is exempt from administration and maintenance fees*, and users will be issued a university supercard, which is free and does not have any issuance and renewal costs until the user becomes 27.

For more information contact:
Ignacio Sotillo – Director of University Offices


4 Census



The “padrón” is a type of document that every resident in Spain must submit. It is a right for citizens, both Spanish and foreigners, whether or not they are legally living in the country; a document used to obtain the health card which will ensure you receive any care your need at any state hospital in Spain, at no extra cost.

Process to obtain your “Empadronamiento”

1. Request an appointment: Online

Click here to request an appointment

2. In the office without an appointment.

You can go directly to the Citizen Support Office of the Municipal Board of your district.

For more information on the documentation to be submitted or if you have any queries, you can go directly to any of the Citizen Support Offices.

Spanish Embassies and Consulates.


5 Foreigner Identity Number (NIE)

NIE - IED Madrid

All students from outside the EU entering Spain with the D type visa – 90 days, must obtain a Foreigner Identity Card / NIE within one month of entry into Spain. This document replaces the visa initially granted in the country of origin and legalises their stay in Spain, in addition to giving them the right to travel to all countries which have signed the Schengen Agreement, without needing to obtain a visa for each country. The maximum period granted by the NIE as a student is one year. Therefore, students who enrol in a program whose duration exceeds one year, should extend the residency authorization each year. The Foreigner Identity Card is granted according to the duration of the course or training to be taken.

The only students who must obtain a NIE are those with a D type visa – 90 days.

Students from the European Union who will reside in Spain for a period exceeding three months do not have to obtain a Foreigner Identity Card / NIE, but are required to register as Citizens of the European Union.

For more information, please click here: EU Registration Certificate.


Lost or stolen NIE

In the event of loss or theft of the NIE, you must notify this loss to the National Police in the form of a “denuncia” or report as soon as possible.

Make a REPORT.

* Telephone reports can be made in several languages:

English: 9.00-21.00 h.
French: 9.00-21.00 h.
German: 9.00-15.00 h.
Italian: 9.00-15.00 h.

  • At the police station.

Return Authorization (for travel outside Spain, while the NIE is pending)

If your NIE card is pending renewal or you are waiting for your first NIE (after a favourable outcome of the initial authorization) and have to travel outside Spain, you need to request a Return Authorization: this is a permit granting exit and subsequent return to the Spanish territory within 90 days.

* The content of these pages is for information only, and only the provisions of the regulations in force at the time of the request apply. For more information, please contact the Immigration Portal.


6 Safety

Although Madrid is not a dangerous city, whenever you are in the city centre we advise you to be careful with your personal objects, because, as in any big city, there are pickpockets. Once you arrive in Madrid, it is advisable to keep an eye on your belongings until you get to your hotel and to take special care with your money, phone mobile, laptop and documents, keeping them out of sight.

It is a good idea to keep in your home in Madrid a photocopy of all your important documents (identity card, passport, bank cards, EHIC, airline tickets, etc.). And, if traveling in Spain, it is advisable to give your itinerary and travel plans to a friend, to ensure your safety and to help in the event that anything happens.

7 Telephone Numbers

Madrid Government. The official website of the city of Madrid offers extensive information on services, transport and bureaucratic procedures.

Madrid Tourism. official website on entertainment, leisure and culture.

Digital Guide Madrid. Website dedicated to leisure, entertainment and nightlife in the capital.

Useful phone numbers:

  • Information on telephone numbers: 11888/18824/11811/11822
  • Madrid Government: 012/010
  • Emergency Services: 112
  • Information for Foreigners (Ministry of the Interior): 900 150 000
  • Madrid Government: 900 210 133
  • National Police: 091
  • Municipal Police: 092
  • Guardia Civil: 062
  • Fire Service: 080 (Madrid)
  • City Tow Service: 91 345 06 66

Lost or stolen credit cards:

  • American Express: 902 375 637
  • Caja Madrid: 902 246 810
  • 4B: 91 362 62 00 / 902 11 44 ​​00
  • Eurocard-Mastercard: 900 971 231
  • Diners Club: 91 211 43 00
  • Red 6000: 91 355 30 00/91 596 53 35
  • Visa Electron: 900 991 216
  • Visa International: 900 991 216
  • Visa Japan: 900 988 142
  • Banco Zaragozano: 901 123 321
  • BBVA: 901 224 466
  • BSCH: 902 242 424 / 902 114 400
  • Caja de Cataluña: 902 246 810
  • La Caixa: 902 334 334
  • Deutsche Bank: 902 240 124
  • ServiRed: 91 519 21 00 / 91 519 60 00
  • Western Union: 900 633 633

Teletaxi: 91 371 21 31

Electrical Companies:

  • Endesa: 91 566 88 00
  • Iberdrola: 901 20 20 20
  • Union Fenosa: 91 406 80 00